Collge of Design, Construction & Planning
Archived Header

College History

College Leadership

  • Rudolph Weaver, FAIA (1925-1944)
  • William T. Arnett (1946-1956)
  • Turpin Chambers Bannister (1957-1965)
  • Robert Stephen Bolles (1967-1974)
  • Arnold Butt (1975)
  • Mark T. Jaroszewicz (1976-1986)
  • Anthony J. Catanese, Ph.D. (1986-1989)
  • Richard Schneider, Ph.D. (1990)
  • R. Wayne Drummond (1990-1999)
  • Jay M. Stein, Ph.D., FAICP (1999-2005)
  • Anthony Dasta (2005-2006)
  • Christopher Silver, Ph.D., FAICP (2006-present)

College Timeline

1925 School of Architecture was established within the College of Engineering
1929 The School of Architecture became an independent unit of the University and was renamed the School of Architecture and Allied Arts.
1933 The program in Landscape Architecture was established.
1935 The program in Building Construction was added.
1948 Instruction in Interior Design was created.
1948 The School of Architecture and Allied Arts was changed to the College of Architecture and Allied Arts.
1957 The college was renamed College of Architecture and Fine Arts.
1972 Preservation Institute Nantucket (PIN) is the nation’s oldest field school for historic preservation. Officially launched in 1972.
1974 The program in Urban and Regional Planning was added.
1975 The College of Architecture and Fine Arts was split into two separate entities, the College of Architecture and the College of Fine Arts. The College of Architecture was composed of the Department of Architecture, the Department of Building Construction, and programs in Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, and Urban and Regional Planning.
1976 The Department of Building Construction was renamed the School of Building Construction
1984 GeoPlan, the Geo-Facilities Planning and Information Research Center, was established in the Department of Urban and Regional Planning within the University of Florida’s College of Architecture.
1988 A doctoral program in architecture and building construction was initiated in 1988 and later expanded to include all academic units.
1988 Florida legislature establishes the Center for Affordable Housing at UF’s Rinker School of Building Construction.
1989 The School of Building Construction was renamed the M.E. Rinker Sr. School of Building Construction
1991 Formation of Powell Center.
2000 The College of Architecture was renamed College of Design, Construction and Planning. The Department of Architecture was renamed School of Architecture. Thus, the College of Design, Construction and Planning is composed of two schools: the M. E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction, the School of Architecture, and three departments; the Department of Interior Design, Department of Landscape Architecture and the Department of Urban and Regional Planning.
2014 The M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction was renamed to the M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Construction Management.